🚨 POLL: Is China Still Lying?
Wuhan’s death toll was suddenly raised by nearly 50% on Friday, according to Fox News. After allegations of officials not reporting the correct numbers to make the situation look better than it is, the numbers appeared to have dramatically changed.
The city of Wuhan is now reporting 3,869 deaths, 1,290 more than they had previously stated.
The number of total cases is now 50,333, 325 more than originally announced.
This takes up about two-thirds of the total cases in China, which is 82,367.
Chinese state media announced Friday that the reasoning for the drastic changes is that medical facilities were overwhelmed during the peak of the outbreak, and as a result, “belated, missed and mistaken reporting occurred.”
The official Xinhua News Agency reported, “Due to the insufficiency in admission and treatment capability, a few medical institutions failed to connect with the disease prevention and control system in time, while hospitals were overloaded and medics were overwhelmed with patients.”
The new numbers were not a surprise to many.
Senator John Cornyn said, “Well, well, well: After repeatedly defending the accuracy of their data, Chinese officials revise the coronavirus death toll in Wuhan.”
Even residents of Wuhan claimed that the original number of 2,500 deaths was far from reality.
One resident said, “It can’t be right … because the incinerators have been working round the clock, so how can so few people have died,” said Zhang, a Wuhan resident who only gave Radio Free Asia his last name. “They started distributing ashes and starting interment ceremonies on Monday.”
“There have been a lot of funerals in the past few days, and the authorities are handing out 3,000 yuan in hush money to families who get their loved ones remains laid to rest ahead of Qing Ming,” Wuhan resident Chen Yaohui had said. “It’s to stop them keeing (a traditional expression of grief); nobody’s allowed to keen after [the festival] Qing Ming has passed.”
More from Fox News:
The new figures were compiled through a comparison of data from Wuhan’s epidemic prevention and control big data system, the city funeral service system, the municipal hospital authority’s information system, and the nucleic acid test system to “remove double-counted cases and fill in missed cases,” the mystery official added.
There have also been claims of city officials paying off families in exchange for their silence.
In early April, three U.S. intelligence officials also called China’s math into question.
In a classified report sent to the White House, the officials had said that China’s public record of COVID-19 infections was deliberately deceptive and incomplete.
“We didn’t conceal death figures, and the numbers are accurate,” Lu Shaye, Chinese ambassador to France, said in response.
According to Fox News, Wuhan residents are saying “the numbers don’t add up” when it comes to the country’s claims that the death rates are decreasing in Wuhan.
Wuhan, the epicenter of the virus started lifting lockdown procedures over the weekend, like restarting the subway service and allowing families to reunite.
As of Monday morning, the virus has infected over 732,000, and 34,686 people have died.
Residents told Radio Free Asia that Beijing’s claims of only 2,500 deaths in Wuhan can’t be correct.
Zhang, a Wuhan resident who only gave Radio Free Asia his last name said “It can’t be right … because the incinerators have been working round the clock, so how can so few people have died,”
“They started distributing ashes and starting interment ceremonies on Monday.”
“There have been a lot of funerals in the past few days, and the authorities are handing out 3,000 yuan in hush money to families who get their loved ones remains laid to rest ahead of Qing Ming,” Wuhan resident Chen Yaohui said. “It’s to stop them keeing (a traditional expression of grief); nobody’s allowed to keen after [the festival] Qing Ming has passed.”
Chen also noted that no one in Wuhan believes there have only been 2,500 deaths.
As reported by Fox News, severl large shipments of urns to the original epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan has added to the suspicions surrounding the statistics of Chinese deaths reported by Chinese authorities.
Although heavily censored by the Chinese government, citizens have been able leak images to the media through social media of these shipments of urns being received by multiple funeral homes in Wuhan.
Fox News reported on the situation developing in China.
China has reported 3,299 coronavirus-related deaths, with most taking place in Wuhan, the epicenter of the global pandemic. But one funeral home received two shipments of 5,000 urns over the course of two days, according to the Chinese media outlet Caixin.
It’s not clear how many of the urns were filled.
Workers at several funeral parlors declined to provide any details to Bloomberg as to how many urns were waiting to be collected, saying they either did not know or were not authorized to share the number.
Despite dealing with the coronavirus outbreak since November and only recently being able to report improvements, China still has reported less than half of the deaths being reported from Italy.
Bloomberg reported that eight funeral homes in Wuhan were distributing the ashes of those that died in the outbreak to their family members. Citizens described a staggered approach to picking up the ashes. Some were ordered to wait until their employer or a government official came to accompany them to the funeral home.
Phones have been an important tool for containing the coronavirus epidemic, the report adds. This underscores why it would be unusual for users to stop using cell phones.
In the coronavirus pandemic, the official count from China is 3,277 fatalities from 81,171 infections as of Tuesday. However, The Epoch Times suggests the disapperance in cell phones is an “unprecedented decline,” which may suggest that there are “more fatalities than Beijing is prepared to admit.”
From the Epoch Times:
China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) announced on March 19 the number of phone users in each province in February. Compared with the previous announcement, which was released on Dec. 18, 2019, for November 2019 data, both cellphone and landline users dropped dramatically. In the same period the year before, the number of users increased.
The number of cellphone users decreased from 1.600957 billion to 1.579927 billion, a drop of 21.03 million. The number of landline users decreased from 190.83 million to 189.99 million, a drop of 840,000.